Sport PEI has teamed up with 11 Provincial Sport Organizations to facilitate and create a Multisport Pilot Project for 2016/2017. The program will run from October through June, for children in grade two.
All sessions will be delivered by Provincial Sport Organizations. Each lesson focuses on developing physical literacy through skill development and fun.
Our vision is to grow children through sport, by providing the opportunity to develop skills and confidence in being active. We are using the pilot as a means to assess the interest of the community, as well as the logistics and coordination needed to provide a truly unique multi-sport experience. The success of the pilot, feedback from the participants, parents and provincial sport organizations will help determine the direction of multisport delivery in the future.
The program will run for 9 months with a maximum of 30 children who are enrolled in grade two for the upcoming school year. Each individual sport will deliver six one hour lessons. Sessions will run twice a week, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:00pm – 4:00pm, for 35 weeks.
Athletic equipment will be provided by each organization. Children simply need to show up with sneakers and comfy clothing for gym sessions, a bathing suit for swimming, and skates/helmet for hockey (skates/helmets can be provided if necessary). Participants are more than welcome to bring, and use, their own equipment.
All sessions will take place at Spring Park Elementary Gymnasium and the Bell Aliant Center.
- Provide the opportunity for children to participate in a quality multisport experience with a physical literacy focus.
- Strengthen the mandate of provincial sport organizations in alignment with Canadian Sport for Life.
- Reduce barriers of participation in a quality sport program.
- Educate the community on the importance of physical literacy and long term athlete development.
- Collectively build healthier communities through sport, with a focus on being Active for Life.
- Create a measurable impact through evaluation and assessment
Provincial Sport Organizations Involved:
For more information, contact Jared Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org